Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dilemma

I have a dilemma. Which is the better option out of the following two choices?

1. Have a husband who works 50, 60, 70 and 80 hours a week doing what he enjoys.

2. Have a husband work 40 hours a week not enjoying his work.

Today I am rather annoyed. Let me explain. From January 2 until March 31st Ryan worked a TON of hours. Some weeks he worked well over 70 hours. He always worked at least 55 but most weeks it was more. Busy season for auditors ends April 1st. However, Ryan had to study for the CPA exam. The test was April 27th. He has been staying up until midnight and getting up at 5 to study. So although he wasn't technically "working" he still wasn't getting a lot of family time. I was quite excited for yesterday because he had his test in the morning. I had told Taegen and Kyler that we were going to go get ice cream for family night and to celebrate Ryan taking the test. Ryan calls at 5 and says "I'm going to be late. We have a deadline this week." So...when did Ryan get home? 12:15 in the morning. Needless to say, we didn't get ice cream and I still have the enchiladas that I made yesterday in the fridge uncooked because I wanted Ryan to eat them with us. Well, he just called again and apparently, he's not only going to be late again tonight but tomorrow and probably Thursday as well. I HATE accounting, I HATE jobs. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my husband and he is the greatest. But seriously...when is enough enough?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do you actually have an option between number 1 and number 2 - or was that just for venting purposes? I don't know what it's like, but I feel for you and often wonder how you do it. Does Ryan feel it's worth it? It's a personal decision of course, but hang in there!

love you - Shawnee
(you don't have to print this one)abbab

Jen said...

It's pretty lame feeling like a single Mom, huh? I don't know how they do it. Brad has to work late a lot, but not like auditors. He only stays past 7:30 about twenty times a year. Maybe Ryan can look into doing financials too. Brad really likes it. It's accounting without quite so ridiculous hours.

The Dahlstroms said...

I know what you mean my hubby has to work a ton too! But, in this economy I am really grateful that my hubby has a job, it does get really hard with kids though!

Charlotte said...

I completely understand. Kevin works heinous hours as well. It's a double-edged sword. I've seen him in a position he hated that only took 40 hours a week as opposed to his job now that he LOVES, but makes him miss a lot of bedtimes. I miss him, but I like that he loves his job. Hopefully things will calm down soon and you can get more face time with Ryan.

If not, I love enchiladas and would be happy to help you eat them. I'm up for ice cream too. ;0)

Hang in there!

Poots said...

At least you don't have to work too. Try to remember that when you are upset - like now! AND be thankful it isn't all year! Hang in there. Things really could be worse!

The Arey Fam said...

that is so frustrating! That is a catch 22. I hate when I plan something for Jordan and it doesn't work out. it makes me not want to plan things like that. but I still do and hope for the best. I hope he passed his test! and I hope busy season doesn't last the rest of his career!

Melanie said...

I think there are more jobs like that than we realize! Unfortunately, yours seems to come in one very long stretch. I don't know what you do?? Kelly is leaving for Morocco on Friday so here we go again too. I am sure it is much more difficult with kids involved. Sorry!!!

TeamDall said...

I hate accounting too--so does Jeremy. Let's move to Hawaii and not have jobs. We just came off of a 90 hour week. BLECH

BECKY said...

Good luck girl. It is a tough choice... it's hard to be grateful in the moment, but hopefully things get way better soon. I loved the post about the twins... what sweeties. :)

Unknown said...

Suck it up wimp!

Unknown said...

I meant, suck it up because at least you have a husband that lives in the same city, state, and same freaking country for crap sakes!