So I have been having a hard time trying to get the boys to nap or not to nap or whatever. Kyler still really needs his nap on a daily basis, although he takes pretty short naps. Taegen doesn't always need a nap but sometimes does. Kyler will go to sleep if I lock the door to his room. However, if I lock the door then he thinks he is in time-out and therefore, in trouble. If I don't lock the door then he won't stay in there. If Taegen and Kyler are both in their room - they play. So...what do I do? I went out and bought some little baskets and I am going to try the "quiet time" technique. Taegen will be in the office and Kyler will be in his room. Silly me, I already got rid of my baby gate because I NEVER used it. Now I wish I had one so that I could "lock" Kyler in his room without actually shutting the door. Back to the baskets, I am going to put a few fun items in the baskets and they only get to use them when they are in "quiet time". I told them each to pick out a few books that they want in their baskets. This is what they came back with...

Kyler was yelling "ee. ee. ee." which translates into "heavy". It was quite cute. Then all his books fell out of his basket. So...we shall see how this new idea works.
Side note: I have always been one to think that quiet time is just a "glorified" time-out. I mean really it's the same as having your kids in time-out except that it's YOU who needs the break. So, in retrospect, I guess it's okay that Kyler thinks he's in time-out because essentially...he is! Right?
1 comment:
first of all, i love the mountain of books.
Second of all. I've thought about the time out issue. But here's the thing, if I didn't have quiet time Daniel would never read or draw, Emily would never read or draw or play with her barbies or other toys in her room. Daniel would never have written the pile of "books" he has. When they are together downstairs they just want to go go go, not take a minute to sit quietly and do those things. My MAIN selfish reason for having them in there is if they aren't, they wake up Ben and Jake who do sleep the whole time. Once Jake wakes up, I end quiet time for the day for them.
Sometimes I let Emily and Daniel have quiet time together, but they can't watch TV or play on the computer, and they have to play with the toys or books they have in their rooms. Generally this means Daniel will read to Emily the wholw time, which I think is GREAT.
So anyway. YES it's a break for me. But I also think it's good for them to have a chance to slow down and do some creative things on their own. Everyone needs a little alone time.
Post a Comment