Every now and again I have to re-accept the fact that I have a child with Ds. When Kyler was 1 1/2 my mom gave me a book called "Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives". It is a bunch of entries from mom's about the time they found out their child had Ds. Since reading this book and it's sequel "Gifts 2" I have been wanting to write my story. But whenever I try...I can't. Not because I don't want to but I can't put my feelings into words. I can't pick the moments that I would want to share and the ones to leave out. I can't describe the immense pain and sorrow I feel at times but also the amazing amounts of love and joy. I have written my story a few times and it never fully captures the essence of what I want it to say. Mine's not going to be published in any book - I just want it for me. I want it for Kyler. I want it for Taegen."Gifts 2" is the sequel and it contains entries from moms, grandparents, siblings, teachers, coaches of people with Down syndrome. It made me realize that I was not the only one affected by Kyler's diagnosis. I really didn't get that until reading this book. I felt alone in my feelings and I still do but it's different knowing that other people had/have to accept this diagnosis too. My parents had to deal with Ds when Kyler was born, just like Ryan's parents did. I am curious to know their stories too.
One of my resolutions this year was to write my story and give it to my parents and Ryan's parents with a copy of "Gifts 2". So far, this resolution has been unattainable because I can't express myself. I can't express myself while still capturing everything I feel. I know that it's still January and I still have 11 months to complete this resolution but I have been trying to put on paper my experiences for 2 years now and so far it hasn't worked. Every so often I have to "re-accept" Ds. I NEED to read blogs of other parents with a child with Ds. I have to cry. I have to re-read "Gifts 1 & 2". I have to feel alone. Then I pick myself up and get back to loving all my boys.
I have heard people say countless times to both Ryan and I that Kyler is very lucky to have us as his parents and there couldn't be a better family for him. While I am flattered by these comments, I don't believe we are that different than other family out there doing the best they can to raise their children. I think that just maybe these children come into our lives to teach us... and because they have something to give to us, not because we have something special to give to them. Kyler was once given a blessing that said Kyler's disability is a protection for not only Kyler but for our whole family. I honestly cannot think of one thing I have taught Kyler (or Taegen or Strider) that they couldn't have gotten from any other well-intentioned parent, but I do know they have taught us more about life simply by there presence than we could learn from anyone else. It is this thought that keeps me going on the days when I feel overwhelmed and alone. So, I guess I will keep trying to write my story and maybe, just maybe, one day I will be able to capture the essence of what I want to say.
9 comments:
I think your words will come to you...and your story will be incredible. Everyone who knows Kyler loves him, he gets that from his Mom.
You are such a strong person! God would not have chosen you to be Kyler's mom if you weren't. And Kyler is such a GREAT kid!
Just start writing (on a computer). As you go on with your daily life, you will always be thinking of ways to change it, revise it, tweak it. Until one day you will realize it is just how you want it. I think that is a WONDERFUL idea to write your story and give it as a gift.
This post is part of your story. There is no doubt in my mind that as the year progresses you'll have a small thought, "I should write that" and by the end of the year, you'll have something incredible. Love the smiley picture... melts me! :) And yes, your children are so blessed to have you as parents. And vice versa.
Krista, this was an AMAZING post. You may think that you and Ryan aren't any different but you are - having worked with families who have children with all kinds of disabilities, let me tell you that you are! I know you have heard this before but all of your feelings are normal and make sure you keep acknowledging them and know that it is okay to have them from sorrow to anger to joy! Kyler is a chosen spirit and what an honor is must be to have him! Love ya and I'm here if ya need me for anything!!!!
What a wonderful and overwhelming goal to write it down. I'm sure that you'll be inspired on how to write it. It will truly be a gift to you, Ryan, Kyler and others love your precious little boy!
YOu have such a great outlook on your life. YOu are so right when you say that these little children come into our lives to bless and teach us something. YOu are so strong and a great Mother!!
I love reading your blog Krista. I remember hearing about you having your twins and that one of them had Ds and I couldn't help but think about us working at the Special Needs Camp and us sitting out on the bench after our first day and you crying saying that you didn't think it would be this hard. But at the end of it we both had a good time and we both loved it. (well at least it did) You're an amazing mom and a great example to the rest of us. You'll look back on what you are going through now and be greatful for all the struggles and be happy that you came out stronger. Really can you imagine your life without him? Just know that you're normal having your ups and downs and days that you just want to give up. I think that the only way you could have constant up days is if you were on some really strong drugs...and I don't recommend that.
Krista! I loved reading this post. I think everyone who has read or will read will be touched by your story. All of those emotions and feelings are exactly how I felt about my little Alex. With each day you raise Kyler you will become a stronger, better person, because you want to be! I loved the part where you said Kyler was here to teach you something and I absolutely believe that to be true, but you need to realize that you are teaching Kyler too....you are teaching him unconditional love, compassion, strength and the list could go on. You are a wonderful person and such a great example to everyone.
I'm glad you have this blog to write down your true feelings for us to all read and learn from. I think throughout your life you will be re-accepting Kyler's Ds but not re-accepting Kyler. I think both you and Ryan are wonderful parents and I can't wait to read your entry and mine too!!
Post a Comment