Thursday, July 29, 2010

Worried Mom

I think I am a worried mom or something like that. I have always been worried about babysitters. In the beginning it was because of Kyler's heart and the fact that I had two infants. I don't think I actually paid a teenager to babysit until last year. I would only trust my friends to watch the boys and that meant...very few dates. Now that Taegen can talk and tell us things I am more comfortable with paying a babysitter. Taegen tells me what they do when we are gone. He tells me what happens and such so it makes me more comfortable knowing that Taegen will tell me what has gone on.

With that said. I have always been worried about Kyler because he is unable to tell me stuff that has gone on. I think I am very aware of my boys. I know Kyler's teachers and therapists and I communicate with them frequently. I like to think that I know what is going on when I am not around with Kyler. On Sunday, I said something about having a child with Ds and a lady came up to me afterwards. She told me that she has a nephew with Down syndrome. He doesn't talk and isn't doing too well. She told me that he was doing really well when he was younger and that he was in a special needs pre-school. He started regressing and continued to regress for a few years. Well, it turns out that his teacher locked him in a closet all day during school for 3 years. He has not spoken well since and has never gained back those few years. His parents didn't know, obviously, and were appalled when they found out.

I don't know why this lady wanted to tell me this story but I kind of wish she hadn't. I am well aware that things like that happen. I am aware that special needs kids can be taken advantage of more so than others. I know all these things. I don't like to think about them but I do like to think that I would notice if something was going on with my child. I, at least, hope that I would notice.

Anyways, Kyler goes to a private pre-school during the summer and they do absolutely great with him. He usually loves to go and he really enjoys it. However, yesterday he cried and didn't want to go. Of course, I was like, why is he crying? Why wouldn't he want to go? Are they going to put him in a closet? blah blah blah. But when I went to pick him up he was smiling and working with his therapists and doing a great job. I know that some people are mean and hateful and are going to do mean things but I also know that there are some absolutely amazing people who really love my Kyler and really do want to help him succeed. I just really really really hope that I have good enough motherly instinct and judgment to know if there is somebody who doesn't have his best interests at heart.

5 comments:

BECKY said...

oh my heck what a horrible story for her to tell :(

Janene said...

I'm not sure I would have been too thrilled to hear that story from that lady! I'm paranoid already, and my kids can speak. My mom was always worrying about something, and I never got it...until now. It's quite the juggling act to protect our babies, but still let them "learn the hard way"...and they're not even teenagers yet! Yikes!

mcdowellfamilyfarm said...

put that lady in a closet! jk

Gma said...

I remember when you and Shawnee were little,a girl was kidnapped and killed. I was sooo afraid to let you play outside. I finally decided I was driving myself crazy so I needed to do everything in my power to be in tune with the Holy Ghost so I would have promptings. That's not saying that others weren't living right, but that was the only thing I could think of within my control, to make me feel better, then trust God with the rest. I think it made me feel better, somewhat, because you cannot control everything.

Gma said...

I remember when you and Shawnee were little,a girl was kidnapped and killed. I was sooo afraid to let you play outside. I finally decided I was driving myself crazy so I needed to do everything in my power to be in tune with the Holy Ghost so I would have promptings. That's not saying that others weren't living right, but that was the only thing I could think of within my control, to make me feel better, then trust God with the rest. I think it made me feel better, somewhat, because you cannot control everything.