This time of year is always a great, joyous time for many reasons. One of which reasons is Dr. appointments. Since the boys' birthday is in April we get to have all of Kyler's annual appointments in the next few weeks/months. I will admit that the number of Dr appointments we go to has drastically decreased since the first few years of the boys' life. However, there is still quite a few that we have to keep up on. Last week we had the boys' 6 month check-up at the dentist. Taegen is petrified of the dentist. When he found out we were going he brushed his teeth like 13 times so he wouldn't have to go. I told them all if they didn't scream and kick and throw fits that I would get them an ice-cream cone afterwards. Taegen usually screams, kicks, everything...I have to physically hold him down just so they can brush his fluoride on his teeth. Scared to death. Anyways, this time was much better. Kyler went first and was a little nervous but did super. As always the dentist said that his teeth are fabulous especially for a kiddo with Down syndrome. Usually they have a really big under bite and he doesn't and his teeth are just super. Strider went next. This was his first time but he did great. He laid there and opened his mouth as big as he could. He is my one that really likes brushing his teeth and would do it all day if I let him. Taegen was next. He wanted me to hold him instead of laying on the chair. So I held him in my lap while they brushed. He was SO brave, like Piglet, he told me. He was squeezing my hands so tight it hurt...but he didn't cry or scream or kick. He did great. After he was done I was helping Kyler with something and Taegen said "mom, i swallowed and i threw up." I turned around and lo and behold, throw up all over the floor. So he didn't throw a fit but he did freak himself out so bad that he threw up. Poor kid. We got the floor cleaned up and dentist came in and Taegen has 2 little cavities. So..the dilemma. Have him totally knocked out to fix his cavities which means doing it at the hospital and costing a little bit of $$. Or have him just get laughing gas and do it at the dentist while being awake just loopy. Being the superb mom that I am..we are going with the first option. Meaning $$ is less important than traumatizing our already ultra scared child even more. So next Thursday Taegs and I get to go to the hospital for a little cavity filling. Fun.
Yesterday we had Kyler's annual cardiology appointment. He had to have an EKG and an echo done. I had all 3 boys with me. Kyler was throwing himself around and did not want to have the EKG done. I had to physically hold him in my lap with my legs over the top of his and my arms holding his arms so he could get a good reading. He survived and we got a good reading. Taegen and Strider were actually really good because they were watching the whole thing and I'm sure didn't know what to do. Then Kyler had to do his Echo. This takes about 20 minutes and it's like having an ultrasound done with the gel and stuff on his belly/heart. After the initial fit throwing while getting echo ready he did GREAT. He sat there and watched the pictures being taken and watched Mickey's Playhouse. Then we had to actually go see the Cardiologist. They had to get his blood pressure which he was not happy about and then they had to listen to his heart. Then we were done. I'm happy to report that his heart is doing great. His EKG looks super for someone who has had the surgery that he has had. He has two tiny leaks where the repairs were done which have remained consistent since the surgery and so we don't have to go back for another year. Yeah.
Dentist - check
Cardiology - check
Audiology - not done
Sleep study (again-this is no fun for Kyler or me) - not done
Down syndrome clinic - not done
Annual at the pediatrician - not done
School evaluation - not done
blah blah blah....
See my list could go on and on and on. I haven't had to use babysitters during the day a lot but now it seems like there is a ton of appointments that are just easier when you only have one child instead of three. I guess we shall see.
So, not only is it hard because of the number of appointments but also I feel so bad for my little guy. I felt bad for Taegs at the dentist and I felt horrible for having to hold Kyler physically down to get his tests done. Seriously, I wish they didn't have to have all these necessary tests done but...they are necessary I suppose.
Oh ya, one last thing. This time of year I NEVER see Ryan. He works from early in the morning until late at night. He is exhausted. I miss him. I'm sure he misses me, how could he not, right?
My brother Hayes is living with us now. I love it because I have someone to keep me company since Ryan is not here but let me just say this. I have always thought it will be nice when the boys are in school and stuff. Getting Hayes to do his homework is like trying to pluck nose hairs one by one. (good visual?). Other than that, having Hayes around is great. He and Taegen are best friends and worst enemies. Taegen absolutely LOVES Hayes and wants to do EVERYTHING Hayes does. Literally EVERYTHING. This drives Hayes crazy at times and causes for some fighting between the two. On the other hand, Hayes has a lot of energy and so he and Taegen will play for hours really well together and they love having each other to play with. So when all is well..all is REALLY well. When all is not well...it usually passes pretty quickly (knock on wood.)
So....here's to the next few weeks I suppose. My dad and uncle come tonight so I am super exciting for that. Adios.
3 comments:
wowza. you're awesome to do it all! i'm glad yourfam is there! hayes is funny. :)
aaron is applying with e & y tomorrow. what the heck are we thinking!?
Gage had 7 cavities and we did the thing where he was knocked out....totally worth it...all he remembers is drinking the pink drink that knocked him out but he HATED the taste of it so never wants to go back because of that!!I'm scared to take him again for fear of more cavities! Good luck!
picking your nose hairs or Hayes's nose hairs?
Post a Comment