Friday, March 2, 2012

SPREAD THE WORD TO END THE WORD

I don't think anybody reads my blog anymore. Which is okay because most of it is journally stuff, BUT today, I wish EVERYONE read my blog. 

I HATE the r word.  For those of you who don't know what the R word is. Retard. I hate it. I have told a lot of people, mostly my friends, who have used it in front of me that I find it offensive.  They usually say sorry and that's that. But really the entire word is derogatory and rude.  I don't understand how people justify it. Usually people will say "I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning for it be rude."  How else is it to be meant?  March 7 of this year is R-Word, SPREAD THE WORD TO END THE WORD day.  I have pledged to not use the word (I pledged a long time ago actually).  Will you pledge? Click here if you will pledge.

I think the reason it bothers me so much is not only because I have a child with Down syndrome but because I use to use that word too.  I wish that I would have been more aware of how offensive it is before I was thrown into the Down syndrome world.  I feel like I have let down my child or offended him by my previous actions before his birth.  I shouldn't have to be directly connected to someone in order to not use an offensive word.  I don't know if this is making sense but other bloggers and stuff have such a way of writing. They have huge examples of when the R word has been used in movies/tv/etc.  I'm not good at writing so I guess my point for this post is this....

SPREAD THE WORD TO END THE WORD. I pledge!!

There are some excellent links on this website, I encourage you to look around and read some of the great stories.

4 comments:

Romney Family said...

Well said Krista. It just breaks my heart the way people treat others with disabilities. They are amazing people if you ask me!!!

Flora said...

I still read your blog! I totally agree with what you said. Tell your awesome boys (T, K and S)that I miss them (ok, and you too!).

Angie Willey said...

I just found your blog, and will start reading it. I was getting ready to do my own post on spread the word and World DS Day, and was trying to get some inspiration. Great blog.

Matt and Kirsten said...

Couldn't have said it better! We have a rockin' little nephew with Downs and its amazing how many people still use that word and it is just plain OFENSIVE!