Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Remembering the past.


I just went to another blog of a mom in Montana who has twin boys who are 5 and one has down syndrome. He son, Avery (ds), has to have open heart surgery tomorrow. As I was reading her blog, I started crying remembering how horrible it was to find out that my little boy had to have open heart surgery. The fears, anxieties, questions - everything came rushing to my mind again. I remember when Kyler was only 2 days old the pediatrician came into my hospital room and told me of Kyler's heart condition and that he was in heart failure. My world changed. A few weeks later we discovered that he wasn't in heart failure but that he would need open heart surgery. At almost 7 months on October 24th 2006 he had the surgery. It is definitely a time that I want to forget but it saved Kyler's life and helped make him the big kid that he is today. I just want to give this other mom a huge hug and tell her that everything will be alright. But I don't know if everything will be alright. I do know that she will have many emotional breakdowns. I know that she will have a hard time recognizing her child because of how swollen and how many tubes are attached. I know that others will be there to buoy her up. I know that Dr's, nurses and other medical people will care for your baby but YOU have to be the advocate. Ask questions? Ask what the nurses are giving your child? What the machines are for? Know what is going on. I also know that somehow, someway...it will be okay. I look at Kyler and see the miracle child that he is and it makes me cry all over again. What a precious boy!

5 comments:

Romney Family said...

Krista all I can say is that you are amazing to have gone through all that you have and to have seen your little child have to go through things he did. You are one strong woman and your little boys sure are cute. I love the pic of Taegen and Kyler holding hands at the zoo!!

Anonymous said...

I can somewhat relate with Hayden's ordeal. I love the quote, "That which does not kill us only makes us stronger!" It is so true and thank goodness for prayer and family. Kyler is a choice spirit as are the rest of your boys! Have a great day!

Matt and Kirsten said...

wow! I work with babies with congenital heart defects and reading your experience makes my heart ache for all those families who fight through such a trial. All I can say is, Thank you so much for your courage! I am touched by the strength of parents like you. People often say that they could never be a nurse because they do such hard things, What I say, is look at yourself, YOU do it on a much more personal level. Now that is courage!

Heathelyn said...

You have amazing strength from all that you have gone through. Isn't is strange how something like reading someone else's blog can bring back all of those feelings? I had a similiar experience the other night with something that had been very traumatic for me years ago. It's like the hurts of motherhood never completely heal. We just get strong enough to live with them.

Shalise said...

Krista,

I just spent 30 minutes catching up on your blog, smiling and laughing the whole time-you make motherhood look glamorous!! I finally got you added to my page so I'll keep more caught up.