What is it with feelings of mediocrity or worse...less than mediocre? Do you ever think your kids would be better off with a different mom? Do you ever feel like you are falling short in all the things you are suppose to be doing ie: wife, mom, child, sibling, friend? I don't know what my deal is but something is my deal. It seems like all my friends have these great hobbies that they LOVE to do and that they are making money doing. I don't have any hobbies, and if I did, I doubt that I could make money doing them. I love being able to stay home with my kids but at the same time I hate it. I want a 2 hour a week job but that doesn't exist. If I clean my house then I get irritated when the boys mess it up. But if I leave it messy then I get irritated because it's so messy. It's a lose, lose. I mopped yesterday (finally) and by dinner...you'd never know I even mopped, so what's the point of mopping in the first place. Kyler is into hitting lately and Taegen is into whining about everything (including Kyler hitting) and so it drives me crazy. I am tired but for no reason because I haven't been getting any less sleep than usual. The boys broke the antennae on the tv today and although we don't have cable in the first place...now I don't even get the two channels I did get. It's so muggy, humid outside that you sweat just standing there. You'd think one might lose weight sweating all the time. You don't. I still go to the gym but lately the pictures of me are, shall we say, "less than mediocre".
So with all of this said, how does one who stays at home and attempts at fulfilling all her responsibilities as a mom, wife, friend, etc. but fails at best...succeed? Good question. One of which, I do not know the answer. I guess I will get back to cleaning, sweating, and mere awesomeness. Bye!
8 comments:
First of all, I haven't made any money yet, I am actually in the negative. So you're ahead of me there.
Second of all, you are FAR from being a mediocre friend, rather I would call you a stellar friend. Or maybe a first class friend. Or a top of the line friend. You pick whichever cheesy description you would like.
And last of all, I constantly feel like I am a less than mediocre when it comes to my mom/wife/home duties. I don't cook, for one thing. You do. Often, and well. And you have a husband who loves you and thinks you're super hot, so you must be doing something right in the wife department. AND your kids adore you, so obviously you are doing something right in the mom department too. As far as the clean floor? Who the flip cares? Embrace the macaroni Krista, I know you can do it.
And for the record, I think your butt is looking mighty fine, so I think the hours at the gym ARE paying off.
Call me.
I think that the life of a stay at home mom and a mom in general is the hardest job in the world and we definitely don't get enough credit for it. I like you get frustrated when I clean and then it is messy two seconds later. I do know that the job of being a stay at home mom is what we are suppose to be doing. I know that the Lord will and does bless us for it. I think you are doing great with your boys by all the sweet pictures you post of them!! Hang in there~it gets easier as they get older!! You are great!!
I totally know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I've lost myself a little bit in being a mom, but I just have to remember that I chose this and this is what I want. It doesn't make it easy though. I have days like that ALL of the time. I think the ages of our kids is pretty hard too, don't you think? It's not like they're ever like, "thanks mom, I can tell that you have sacrificed so much for me." :)
You are a way better mom/wife/friend than you are giving yourself credit for. You know what I find helps me the most when I am feeling down like you are? It may sound cheesy, but I read my scriptures and the conference issue of the Ensign. I know that sounds dumb, but the truth is, you are exactly where Heavenly Father wants you to be and doing exactly what he wants you to do, and feeling His love will help you feel better.
The mess won't last forever. Eventually the kids will grow up and you will miss all the cuteness.
I am going to come over there and kick your bum for even suggesting such a thing! I know exactly what you mean when you said you feel mediocre (everyone feels that way MOST of the time and it all stems from Satan) but you are not even close sister!!!! You focus on your kids, love them, and play with them more than anyone I know. Your cooking skills are amazing, you are a sweet and reliable friend and seriously I salute you for not having cable (what a waste of valuable time). I could go on and on and I know right now you are thinking "Gag me, I wasn't typing this post to get a whole bunch of feel good comments." But hey you got them anyway and you deserve them because you are more talented than you ever give yourself credit for.
I am just going to echo the sentiments of everyone else.
You are doing great!
I keep thinking, "Wow, Krista is so good about going to the gym, I wish I was as motivated as she was." I wouldn't even think about the gym half the time if I didn't have you being so great saying, "Hey, let's do this class or try this."
You are awesome, and far from mediocre. You are a great, fun mom and your kids are lucky to have you. There are some ages of our kids that drive us nuts and some that we absolutely adore. Everyone goes through this and thinking the behavior of your kids is annoying or irritating, doesn't make you a bad mom, it makes you like every other mom.
When you're kids a little, that is really all you have time for and you shouldn't feel bad about that. Only within the past year or so (once Elena was about 3) have I had time for more of my hobbies or things I wanted to try.
The time will come where you'll be able to try and do those things that your friends are attempting. But don't ever feel bad about yourself because you are dedicated to children. They matter most, but you know that and there are a lot of people who don't. Those are the children, I'd feel sorry for.
You aren't less than, you are fantastic. Don't forget that. Ever.
Sounds like someone needed a hug that day! Hang in there - this too shall pass!
Amen.
I think Kasi's reply was my favorite. :)
Post a Comment