Ok - here it is...I think I'm happy with it, but we'll see.
I have wanted to write “my” story since I read “Gifts” in the summer of 2007. I have not had the words or the strengths to write this until now.
I got pregnant in July of 2005. In November, I had a positive triple screen test for Down syndrome. There are many false positives with this test. We had an extensive ultrasound where the Dr’s look for 10 markers of Down syndrome. The more markers you have the more likely that your child has Ds. Taegen had one marker. Kyler had zero markers. The Dr’s concluded that I had had a false positive on my test and that we were not going to be having a child with Ds. Fast forward to two weeks before I delivered. I could not stop thinking about Ds. I could not stop thinking about the summer when I was 16 years old and had volunteered at a Special Needs Camp. My assignment was…Marianne, a little girl with Ds. The 3-day camp felt like years. I came out of the camp HATING, really despising this little girl. I seriously did not enjoy her at all. I thought, wouldn’t that be the worst to have a child with Ds. Then Kyler was born. Taegen was born first at
12 hours later, I finally got to see Kyler in the NICU. All I could see was the Ds. Here I was with my “healthy” baby, Taegen, in my room with me and my other child, Kyler, in the NICU. I had an easy time bonding with Taegen; after all, he needed me. Kyler had plenty of people looking after him that I was needed. Two days after they were born the pediatrician called me in my hospital room. He told me that Kyler was in Heart Failure and that he had two holes in his heart. My in-laws were in the room with me during the call. I hung up, briefly told them what he said and then went to the bathroom where I cried more violently and harder than I ever had or have since. This was not what I asked for. From the bathroom, I called my husband who was at worked and sobbed. Then I called my dad and sobbed. Then I called my mom and sobbed. I felt SO alone. I pulled myself together and went back into the room where my father-in-law said, “Do you need a hug?” I needed a lot more than a hug.
After a bunch of medicines, feeding restrictions, fluid in the lungs, life-flight transfer, aspirating medicine, temperature drops, jaundice…you name it. Kyler finally came home 3 ½ weeks after he was born. I felt like he was intruding on my time and relationship with Taegen. After all, I had had Taegen with me all along. I felt horrible for feeling this way. Thankfully, it did not take too long before I was just as madly in love with Kyler as I was with Taegen. The next few months brought many changes. A new job for my husband, moving across the country without my family, moving again, buying a home. Everything that is asked on a stress test pretty much happened within a few months.
At 7 months, Kyler had open-heart surgery. During the surgery, I was scared but I knew he would be okay. It was not until I saw him after the surgery that I broke down. My baby boy was hooked up to so many different machines with a ventilator and in a coma for a week. I sat day in and day out at the hospital. Feeling alone yet again. When Kyler finally came home after the heart surgery, I was surprised to realize that he still had Down syndrome. Up until this point, my main concern was his Heart. I had not really dealt with the Down syndrome side of things, so now that came. I had to come to accept and deal with the Down syndrome when my child was 8 months old. I still have to deal with it on occasion (more often than I would like to admit).
Having twins where one has Down syndrome is not common at all. It has been a HUGE blessing to have Taegen and Kyler. They compliment each other in ways that are so amazing. Taegen is a great example to Kyler and likewise, Kyler is a great example to Taegen. Kyler has always had a role model to follow and to imitate. This has made Kyler a very “high-functioning” child with Down syndrome. At least I think so.
At the same time, having twins where one has Down syndrome has been incredibly difficult at times. I can see exactly how delayed Kyler is. The differences between to the two of them are so “in my face” (for lack of better words). Disciplining has been extremely difficult.
Many times throughout this process I have felt alone. Not physically because I am surrounded by amazing people, primarily my husband. However, emotionally, nobody understands what I am going through. People with twins say, “I know exactly what it’s like raising twins.” They don’t. People with a child with Down syndrome say, “I know exactly what it’s like raising a child with Down syndrome.” They don’t. Although, I do feel that parents of a child with Ds are more understanding of the fact that having a twin is a great motivator for Kyler. Even my husband does not have to deal with the day in and day out of raising these boys. I am Kyler’s advocate. I take him to all his medical appointments, school appointments, and all other appointments. I would not have it any other way but sometimes it wears on me. Sometimes I hate being a mom. Sometimes I do not know how or what to do for Kyler. Sometimes I feel I could be doing so much more for him. Sometimes I feel down and out but at those times, Kyler or Taegen will, for no reason, give me a hug or kiss and say I love you mom and for some reason, that makes it all worth it. I would not trade Kyler or Taegen for anything in the world. They are my life. They make me who I am.
11 comments:
Oh my gosh I'm SO glad you shared this. I've read it and re-read it. I was on the verge of tears almost the entire time. The amount of unknown you have gone through and will continue to go through. It was so, so, so interesting to read this and learn so much about you through it. Thank you so much for sharing.
Dr Macy as in Avenue's Women's Center? If so, she is my ob!
OH Krista what a great story!! I will not even say that I know what you go through because I don't I couldn't even imagine how hard it was and is. ButI can tell that you are a great mom!! I know that Our Heavenly Father is there and knows what you are going through and you will be blessed. Thanks for sharing your story it brought me to tears!!!
Well here I go again.... crying! Krista, i just want you to know that you are an amazing example to me and I am so grateful to have you as a sister. You are an incredible mother and your boys and husband are lucky to have you. I can't wait to come see you all! Just one more week!
I think you did a great job writing your story, and I'm so glad you finally got it written.
Kevin and I were reading Following Christ and I loved this part:
"Suppose the Father brings you a little baby spirit and says, "This child is going to have more problems than most in mortality, but I know that if he is raised in your home he will rise higher and go fruther than if he were anywhere else. Will you take him and love him and maximize his potential? It will be hard, because he's not going to get straight A's and won't win any awards. There will be things he can't overcome, and there will at times be great pain for you. But he is my baby, he is precious to me, and I know he will go further and rise higher with you for his parents than with anyone else. Won't you please take him and love him as I do?"
You are Kyler's mom because you can help him succeed more than anyone else can. You are a great mom, and he's lucky to have you as his advocate.
Thank you for sharing that! It is a beautiful "gift". It sometimes amazes me the trials that we are called to go through in this life. But I believe that sharing those hardships can help lighten the load just a little. It can be theraputic. I don't understand what you are going through. But I admire you tremendously! Grief is a universal emotion. Everyone can relate in some form or fashion. It is one of the things that bond us as people and friends. It is what allows us to cry for another's sorrow because we know how our own sorrow feels.
I love having Taegen and Kyler in Sunbeams class! They are so sweet. And I absolutely LOVE seeing their love for each other!!
Krista- I loved reading that. It totally got me all teary. You are such a good mom and I can't even imagine what your day to day is like. Thanks for sharing.
Krista, thanks for sharing. What a touching story. You hang in there, and if you ever need to, I'll meet you at a 7-11 over the phone for a slurpee. :) *wink*wink*
I loved reading that. Thank you for sharing it.
Those boys are lucky to have you for a mom. You are fantastic.
I know *exactly* how you feel. :)
You are not alone....
And you did such a wonderful job writing about the early days (so many challenges! So much stress! I hope, in writing about it, you can see it all clearly and be proud of yourself!!!) and the now days, when sometimes it's very easy to look past the boys' differences, and some days, not so easy.
Thank you so much for writing. It's given me lots to think about (for instance, I'm sometimes sad when I tell people my boys are twins. They think I'm crazy! I miss their twinship...it's really as if they were bunkmates, and now I easily think of Avery as the little brother, the youngest brother, though technically, he isn't...)
But enough about me! I want to say, again, I hope you can be proud of yourself. I am proud of you! I'm proud of us all!
xo
Oh Krista, that was touching to read. Glad you shared it. I think you are pretty dang neat. All 3 of your boys are so lucky to have you. You aren't the only mom that doesn't love being a mom ALL of the time, trust me!
Thank you for sharing that. I know I can only imagine what it's like, but I feel like you gave us a glimpse of what it's like to be Kyler's mom. Thanks again for sharing!
Post a Comment