Thursday, July 8, 2010

Continuation of CBD...

So yesterday I wrote a post titled CBD because I had to leave the movie because literally going anywhere with Kyler and Strider is impossible. After I had written that post but on the same day as the movie we went to the library. The boys are doing a summer reading program so they get to pick out a prize. Fun enough, right? Well, after the prize they went to play with the blocks. Within minutes (if not seconds) Taegen was yelling at Strider for knocking down his tower. Kyler was literally throwing handfuls of blocks all over the library. Strider was crying because Taegen yelled at him.

It seems like when someones kids are totally unruly onlookers think one of three things:
1. that the kids are brats. ( i don't want people to think my boys are brats because they really can be super cute.)
2. that the mom needs to discipline her unruly kids. (agreed...see paragraph below)
3. or they feel sorry for the mom. (don't feel sorry for me...just shoot me)

I have thought all three of these at some point in the last month.

The thing I don't get is usually my boys are pretty good. At church, their teachers always tell me how good and sweet they are. Their school teachers always tell me how they are amazed at how well behaved they are. Airline patrons on our flight usually come up to us after wards and tell us how amazed they were at how good the boys did on the flight.

I just don't get it. Maybe it IS me. Maybe I just don't have the parenting thing down like I need to. It's extremely easy to doubt my parenting skills ALL the freaking time. I use the book "1 2 3 Magic" as my disciplining guide. My pediatrician recommended it when Taegen was about 2. I checked it out from the library and it totally helped. I re-read it about a year ago and again, it helped. I think I need to just buy a copy of the book and re-read it every week and then, maybe, I will have good little boys who can accompany me to places outside the home.

I feel like lately the boys (meaning Kyler and Strider) are just extremely hard to discipline. Strider is still only 1 1/2 and most disciplining guides say that kids are too young to punish until they are about 2. You just have to distract their attention. Ok. Kyler is an imitator. Always has been and hopefully always will be (too a point). He imitates Taegen and others and this is his way of learning. Sounds all good except when you have a little Strider who does something and then Kyler has to do it too (good or bad). Kyler is less distractable than Strider is. Kyler gets time-out MOST of the time but sometimes I think he doesn't quite understand because Strider doesn't get in trouble for the same thing. It's confusing. Do you see why I am constantly questioning and contradicting myself?

Ok, I'm done with that rant. I have to take the boys to the dentist today and I am not looking forward to it. I will have all 3 boys. Taegen and Kyler don't like the dentist anyways...so I think we have a recipe for disaster. Wish me luck and in the mean time, if anyone sees the book "1 2 3 Magic" in a garage sale...pick it up for me PLEASE.

No comments: