Monday, October 1, 2007

Stupid Airlines!

So my dad is still in the hospital a week and a half after his fall. (see previous post for the details). At any rate, all last week I was searching for airline tickets so I could go and be of assistance to my family. There was always a ticket for around $250.00 which is ok. Then I would use my parents skymiles to pay for my mother-in-law to come out and watch the boys (to fly from Montana to Indiana at such short notice was about $1300.00). So...my mom kept saying to wait and see if he starts doing better.

Yesterday I got the call. She said "I keep thinking he's going to start getting better but he just isn't....so, could you come and help us out for a couple of days?" Yeah! I was so excited to be of assistance. I jumped right on the internet. Found a ticket for Shirley (mom-in-law) and got it. Then I found a ticket for me with Delta using more sky miles. Here is the catch - in order to use your Delta miles within 20 days you have to pay $75. I thought the $75 was to make up for me being a couple thousand miles short. NOOOO!!! So, now I have Shirley's ticket but not mine. I search all the airline websites I can think of: travelocity, orbitz, expedia, priceline, cheaptickets, lastminutetickets and hotwire. Nothing - for less that $480.00!!! So I call my mom - tell her the predicament - call and cancel Shirley's ticket (for a free of $10.00) - and now I am sitting at my computer STILL LOOKING for a reasonable ticket. How can airline tickets change so drastically in a matter of 1-2 days. It's really annoying. I have paid my dues...heck, I have flown at least 6 times in the last year and a half - you would think the airlines would be a little bit nice to such a loyal customer.